Saturday, May 4, 2024

Tiny Critter In A Big, Scary World!

   Early this morning, Son and I were out doing a bit of yardwork when he called out to me.  "We have another snake in the pond."  Thinking the water snake that I just so carefully moved to the marsh had somehow made its way back to the pond already or perhaps another cottonmouth had invaded our territory, I asked "What type?"  His response went something like "Dunno.  But it is tiny."  Well, that left me with no other option than to go identify our wayward snake.  


  Sure enough...it WAS tiny!  An eighteen inch ribbon snake floated on the still waters of the little pond.  Ahh, so that is where my baby frogs have gone!  Son and I watched the tiny, slender snake as it made its way from the water hyacinths to the edge of the pond.  The little thing was not frightened of us which causes me a bit of worry.  That rascally cat may just catch the tiny critter.  Bat has been known to tackle much larger snakes....even venomous ones. 

  Hopefully, the ribbon snake will stay in the middle of the pond among the hyacinths and waterlilies.  There, it would be safe from any larger predators.  Everything from the cat to raccoons would pounce on this wee one.  Stay safe, my friend, stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment