Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dinosaurs and Sly Birds

I am back to the old dinosaur of a laptop while my new one is out for repairs. I had forgotten just how heavy this thing was! I has taken a while to get used to using this again just like it took me a while to get accustomed to using the new one. I guess I should just be thankful that I have a son that can keep these things up and running! The new one will be back in action as soon as the new power cord is delivered. Ahh, these modern conveniences!


Down in the marsh of the Bayou, there are the remnants of an old pier that has gone the wayside. This dilapidated pile of old posts and boards is the roosting place for many birds that live in the area. This Egret is one of those birds. I sat and watched this bird for the better part of an hour (most of it in a drizzling rain) wondering just what the dickens it was doing. At first, it was doing normal bird things..it stood and stared over the Bay..it stretched its legs and wings..it preened its feathers. All of the things that you expect an Egret to do. Then it moved to a different spot and plopped down on its belly. I had never seen an Egret do this and wondered "Is it sick?". I ambled a bit closer to get a better view. It was definitely as far down on its belly as it could get. It appeared to hang its head over the side of the old board. It reminded me of someone hanging his head over the side of a boat when he was seasick. But this was a sea bird! How could it be seasick? Then I realized that this bird was not ill..it was merely watching the minnows swim around in the shallows under it. This bird was watching its supper gather around for easy pickings. Or it was just being lazy!


This Great Blue Heron had flown into the old pine tree above me. What a perfect opportunity to photograph it! I took my first shot and realized that the branches of an oak tree between us was blocking the shot. This is such a majestic bird! Standing a good four feet tall or better, it makes quite an impression! I carefully crept a bit to the side hoping for a better shot. It did not fly away, but rather just intently eyed me. Each time I tried to get a clear shot, this wise, old bird would duck its head behind the tree trunk. The bird was obviously camera shy! We had a wonderful game of "Hide and Seek"! It truly seemed to enjoy frustrating me with its actions! I never got a single clear shot! Foiled again! These birds are far too smart!


3 comments:

  1. Maybe Mark trained this bird at some point....trained it to be annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like something he would do..a legacy when he left the Bayou..a bird to annoy me! Geez!

    ReplyDelete