Monday, January 3, 2011

Coming and Going



Out early..down to the pier..too cold! The wind this morning was down right bitter! Ezzy and I decide it was far too cold to sit out in the open so we headed back to the house to find the only spot that was out of the wind. Here we could not view much of the sunrise but were forced to look at things in a bit different way. In front of me was an old hickory tree. In the Fall, it had been gorgeous..golden from limb to limb, but now was laid bare. Nary a leaf adorned the branches. It was cold and stark..barren..but in some strange way quite beautiful. The branches splayed out from the trunk like a huge hand reaching for the sky. To all appearances it looked dead..as if all life had gone from it. I thought to myself..it is only asleep.. hibernating! It shall awaken again come spring. I had to wait until the sun was full in the sky to photograph the tree but by early dawn it was most interesting and most thought provoking. These trees give so much life with their hickory nuts and protective branches, it seems odd to see them so vulnerable to the wind.


Then beside me, another remnant of the Fall. The once brilliant goldenrod was now soft fluff. The wad of seeds was just waiting to be strewn by some unsuspecting animal or bird or even by a good gust of wind. Then my garden will be ablaze with gold come next Fall! That is a happy thought..natural reseeding! Now if I could only get my vegetable garden to get the same idea! The rising sun illuminated it reminding me of a torch of white! Haha, a fluffy white torch..I told you that I had a vivid imagination! Here was a reminder that life goes on..what seems to have died, yet lives. The root of this plant will produce new shoots come the warmth of Spring. It, too, gives so much. The goldenrod is an herb with wonderful healing properties. It is much maligned as a plant..often being labelled as an allergy-causing weed. Most people will immediately remove it from the garden.
I say..leave it be! This plant can only help us all! Plus! The beauty of the golden spikes perk up any
garden! I do concede that I am perhaps the only gardener that loves to see these "weeds" pop their little heads out of the ground each year. I like them! And if you remember rightly, we had an abundance of butterflies that appreciated the blooms, also. The "flying flowers" add a tremendous amount of color to the garden as well! Think of how ugly most roadsides would be without the brilliance of the goldenrod bobbing above the sea of purple ageratums!





By this time, Ms. Ez and I were shaking in our boots! My goodness! It sure seemed cold! Even out of the wind, I was chilled to the bone! It was time to head back inside, I guess viewing the sunrise was out of the question. Ezzy had lost all interest in chasing the squirrels and was trying to sit as close to me as possible. I would move a bit and she would inch closer and closer until she was right against me again. I will admit that the body heat she was producing was welcome but..ummm.. let's just say she really needed a bath! A hasty retreat to the front door and one last look to the East gave me an interesting perspective of the dawn. The sun was framed between pines and even though, I did not get the effect of the light on the water, I do like this shot! Somehow, each sunrise is more spectacular that the previous! Or maybe, it has something with that perspective stuff! Doesn't matter..I am about to the point that is the solitude of an early morn that does the body and mind good! (On mornings like today, solitude was definite!)



Brr! I am glad I have woodburning stoves! After being out in the cold, they give off a very welcoming warmth! The parlor stove we refurbished was having problems with smoking every time we used it so we pulled it out again. The problem was discovered! The stovepipe was too long and was blocked off. The smoke was literally being reverted back into the stove! After much discussion, lots of pondering, two pinched fingers, several trips to the local supply store and a few grunts and groans the parlor stove is back in action! I am quite sure this did not come without a few thoughts of tossing the stove out the door. My husband wonders what possesses me at times like this! "Why in the world must you have THIS stove?" I just do..that is why! This time it was installed correctly and has not smoked in at all. This little stove really puts out the heat for its small size. It was made in Gadsden, Alabama in the mid 1800's and is highly ornate. The sides are embellished with ivy vines and there are acorns and oak leaves on it, also. The name of "Florence" is proudly displayed across the front. That is about all I know of the origin of the little parlor stove but I do know that I absolutely adore it! Joanna will be delighted to know it is finally burning brightly! She keeps my woodburning stoves well stocked and keeps this old house very cozy!

The parlor stove is in the dining room, (which seems strange, but I have no parlor) while in the living room we have a large stove. This one is a bit different as it is made on the order of a kitchen stove. It has two cook plates and a large oven. This is the stove that bakes the best sweet potatoes ever cooked! On very cold days, I would rather put a pot of soup or chili on top and maybe potatoes or cornbread in the oven than cook on my electric range. There is just something about cooking this way that seems to make the food taste much better. Perhaps it is just the slow cooking or maybe I am just a tad more attentive of what I am making. A beef stew might just be in the making soon! Maybe that will make up for all the hassle of the parlor stove! Hubby will be happy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment