Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pumpkins got a Tee Time!


There is a Tee Time for pumpkins! I was called upon last evening with a rather unusual request. Would I paint pumpkins as a prize for a benefit golf tournament? Would I paint pumpkins? Well, I have done this before for a church bazaar years ago, but for a golf tournament? As the prize? Hmmm..then the full story came tumbling out. The organizers needed a "Booby Prize" ..the prize for those in last place. Yep..that sounded just like something that I might make! Some might take offense in being asked to donate this type of prize but I felt this was just the right job for me! No pressure! I mean..just how hard could it be to make a prize for last place? I readily accepted the task. This would be a cinch!


I started thinking after hanging up the phone...I have no pumpkins! Well, that is a fine Howdy Doody! The tournament was just a few days off and I really needed to get started if I was going to get three prizes finished in time. Ha! I remembered the "Pumpkin Lamp"! Gourds! I have a ready supply of gourds on hand at all times. A pumpkin gourd would have to suffice! Last year, I had painted gourds as Jack-O-Lanterns with little ghosties on the top..I would do a repeat of those! I needed something quick and easy..these were perfect! This morning, I pulled three gourds and started my painting job. By mid-morning, the gourds were all painted and only needed a clear coat of varnish to protect the artwork. My "Booby Prize" was all ready! Now..the golf tournament can go on as scheduled..the all-important "Booby Prize" was available!

Last night, I posted a picture of some little gourd owls. This little trio was to be sent off to a very nice lady but I still needed a box. I pondered and pondered the fact. I looked through everything I had on hand..no box. I decided that the owls needed a box that had a "woodsy" feel to it but also looked a bit antique. The picture above shows my efforts in creating a suitable home for the owls! I think it just about "fits". Seems this week is to be filled with creative efforts as these two projects...the pumpkins and the owls...have led to several orders! The rest of the week will be busy indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment