McKesson Cod Liver Oil bottle circa 1929.
Those two items..Castor Oil and Cod Liver Oil! I distastefully remember being given a dose of either whenever I became the least bit cranky! Ugh!..but it worked! I would just have to see the bottle to know that I had better straighten myself out real quick if I did not want to have a nice spoonful of the stuff poked in my mouth. Sometimes, I think it was just the threat that did the job and not necessarily the oils. I surely did not want to take a second dose regardless of how grouchy I was! Nope..learned that lesson early in life! Perhaps all of the disrespectful youngsters of today need a good dose of each of these on a daily basis! Every time a bit of rudeness comes out that mouth..poke said mouth full of one or the other! This could not be considered abuse as both are deemed to be healthful! Just keep dosing until the impudence has become a thing of the past! Sounds like maybe we missed the boat on a good thing here! And speaking of bygone rituals of good health..what ever happened to "worming" the kids each summer? It was nothing to see Mom pull out that brown bottle and line all the siblings up in a row. She would poke that foul-tasting stuff in our mouth as well. Then a repeat dose would be given a few days later.
Back of the old Cod Liver Oil bottle circa 1929.
It just stands to reason that this is the missing link! If only parents would have stuck by this age old routine, perhaps the cockiness of today's youth would be in check. A dose and a good days work could just be the answer we have all been searching! Stop lolly-coddling those kids, Folks! If they sass..give them a chore and a good dose of Cod Liver Oil or Castor Oil! Or maybe..worm 'em! I am sure these products would straighten out a lot of the problems today..and while we are about it...maybe that is what our Congress needs...a good dose of Castor Oil! I told you I solved all the problems of the world just by dusting the shelves!
No comments:
Post a Comment