Recently, I was looking back at few pictures that I had taken last Fall and came across some of my brother. It was getting late in the evening but he was heading out fishing. To get bait, he was throwing the net for minnows. The setting sun had cast a golden glow upon the entire bay silhouetting him. These pictures are some of my favorites and seem to be the perfect depiction of the way of life here on the Bayou.
There were three of us on the pier the evening that these pictures were taken. Sweet Daughter-in-Law, Joanna, her friend, Amy, and myself. Amy had never been to the Bayou before and was quite "intrigued" by the whole scene unfolding in front of her. I am not sure if she had seen anyone throwing a brail net before or not..but this was the perfect opportunity for her to view it in action! Again and again, he threw..catching his bait before the sun set. We watched until it was too dark to see him before heading to the house.
Here on the Bayou, we depend a good bit on seafood. The fish, along with crabs and shrimp, that we pull from the bay make up a good portion of our diet. This suits me just fine..I love seafood! As I looked at these pictures this evening, I thought of how my ancestors must have fished these waters. The scene most likely looked very similar to my brother in these pictures. A lot of things are passed down from generation to generation..I am glad that part of my inheritance was a love for the water..for fishing. My little Bayou suits me just fine!
Life on the bayou is amazing. These are some of my favorite pictures.
ReplyDeleteThey are even more special to me because you were here when they were taken!
ReplyDelete