Sunday, October 16, 2011

What's for Breakfast?


After a nigh sleepless night, I was on the pier before daybreak. There is just something that calms and relaxes me being there with nothing but the sights and sounds of a new day. As I sat watching the fish break in the mouth of the Bayou, I realized just how blessed I am to live here and how thankful I am that my little Bayou is obviously healthy. Just a few moments after the sun rose over the pine trees, I heard a ruckus in the back part of the Bayou. Wondering what was causing the minnows to be astir, I hurried up the pier to get a better look. I knew whatever was in the water was quite large but still could not get a clear view. Although the sky was getting brighter by the minute, it was still very dark down in the marshes. Ezzy, the dog, started barking as she sensed something was amiss. Hmmmm...if I wanted to see what was in the Bayou, Ms. Ez would have to be locked in her pen. That done, I slipped down to the marsh edge.


The water was roiling..whatever was there, was having a heyday with the minnows and little mullet. Something was eating breakfast! Edging closer and closer to the marsh, an eerie feeling swept over me..what if...just what if this is something that I should not be cornering! Still the allure of the Bayou overcame that fleeting feeling angst! Under the trees, it was almost pitch black. I had to be careful here..a snake would not hesitate to inflict a nasty bite and I was only wearing leather moccasins. hehe..My moccasins would not stop a moccasin! Hubby has some brand new snakebite boots and at this moment, I thought that was probably what I needed! SPLASH! I was shaken out of thoughts of snakes and other creepy-crawlies. The sun was up and shooting little beads of light through the marsh grass and I was near enough to survey the deep pool in this bend of the Bayou. Suddenly, little mullet were frantically trying to escape by taking flying leaps through the air! With a sudden shower of water droplets, a head popped above the water's surface!


The playful River Otter was dining on the juvenile mullet that were teeming in the Bayou. The otter would dive under the water and literally burst out in a leap that sent water showering everywhere! Then when it would catch a fish, it would roll over on its back and crunch away on its meal. I noticed that each time, the meal was eaten head first! Unusual but effective method of eliminating the possibility of the fish escaping, I suppose! I watched, enthralled at the antics of the otter until breakfast-time was over. My wild friend made a hasty exit into the marsh and I headed to the house for coffee. My daughter and son-in-law are here visiting and I needed to get breakfast on the table! We had plans for the day and they did not include my Bayou Watching!


No comments:

Post a Comment