Monday, November 26, 2012

Easier Transition

I decorate for most holidays.  I have no clue as to just why I go through so much trouble as visitors to the Bayou are far and few in between but I do every year.  Just as one holiday is winding down, I will pull down all of the many, many decorations that adorn the Little Bayou House and pack those away for another year.  Then with renewed enthusiasm, I start to pull out and put up decorations for the upcoming season.  It is a lot of work..it is tiring but still I do it every year.  Why?  Why would I put myself through so much work for no apparent reason?  I have no clue but I do..year after year.  Today while I was trying to put together the artificial Christmas Tree for the dining room, I asked Michael just that question. Why?  I went on to ask if he thought there was some possible way to make the transition any easier.



We discussed the fact that already I leave the base garland up on the stairs year round.  The green Natchez Pine garland is always in place.  The white lights and pine cones never come down.  Each holiday sees just enough seasonal additives such as ribbon or ornaments to change it up a bit.  Just last week, there were fall leaves interspersed with the pine.  Now those are down and red berries took their place.  This is the easy transition and I was pondering what else could be simplified.  By this time, he had the base of the artificial tree in the stand and was attempting to put up the next section.  This is one of those pre-lit trees that is actually in four sections.  It is simple enough to put up so I was not referring to the tree when I was posing my query.  At that exact moment, he looked at me in all seriousness and said that he already had a jump on the season!  I stared at him and he pointed to the half of tree.  "An Easter Tree!" he proclaimed!  I had to start giggling when I peered at the tree.  While mounting the second section, two branches stuck high as if reaching for the ceiling!  "Rabbit ears!" again he proclaimed!  Hahaha! He was right!  There in the dining room was a wonderful Christmas Tree in the shape of a rabbit!  Bunny ears for Easter seemed like a great transition!  We shared a light moment with lots of joking and laughs.  Then it hit me..I do it for the few moments like this.  The shared giggles, the light-hearted banter, the love being shared by those who happen to be at the Little Bayou House at the moment.  That is why I do this!  That is why I spend hours..no days..making sure every inch of the Little Bayou House is transformed into some holiday wonderland..no matter what holiday.  I will probably continue to do this even when there is no one here..then...then I will do it for the memories.  For now, the music will play..the tree will be decorated..the house will be adorned for another holiday and I......I will smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment