Sunday, December 16, 2012

Little Bayou Village

My little Christmas Village has finally returned!  Much like the fabled Brigadoon, my little town will disappear for quite some time only to reappear once again. In the musical, Brigadoon, however, the town only appears for one day every hundred years. At least my village only disappears for about eleven months and then hangs around for about a month!  Mark and I pondered today at just how to set the village's buildings.  The churches would go on either end of the long winding road while all of the businesses would settle in between.  The barbershop, hotel and stores all curved around the Town Gazebo.  Tiny streetlights lined the cobblestone road from church to church and even across the bridge to the park.  There, carolers were singing their tunes to empty benches.  Perhaps this was a dress rehearsal or something and the good folks of the village were awaiting the musical production with bated breath!


Each year, it seems as if Mark and I purchase a new building for our town.  For the past two years, we have gotten churches.  A Christmas Village definitely needs an abundance of churches!  I love the one we acquired this year as it has a "stained glass" window that is lovely when lit from within.  Now Mark is talking about expanding our village to at least twice this size.  The new town would have a train, more roads and perhaps an ice-skating pond!  Of course, this new village would not fit in my entryway so...ummm...maybe a new screened porch should be added to the Little Bayou House!  (Hint, hint...Mark!)  The new village could be housed on the porch and be extended for quite some distance!  Yep...I am beginning to like this village!



Like Brigadoon, this little village is a magical, mystical place.  A place where the imagination can run free.  A place where the unexpected might just happen at any time but still a place where the pace is a bit slower and the people a bit nicer than most other towns.  It is the ideal place to settle down for a peaceful life...Wait! I have just noticed something sad about my village!  There are no houses!  Each building is either a business or a church!  Where, oh, where do my tiny little people live?  Houses!  Houses!  I need tiny little houses!  Not all of the townspeople can reside at the hotel!  And if I have houses, I need a fire station...and a train depot...and a schoolhouse!  Yes!  A schoolhouse!  We cannot have illiterate people in this village! Yep..my little town  will soon be growing!  Progress is the name of the game for the people of the Little Bayou Village!  Come this time next year..when our little town makes its next appearance..perhaps there will be many additions!


No comments:

Post a Comment