Friday, December 21, 2012

Simple and Sweet! (Not to mention..QUICK!)

My de-lighted wire deer that was supposed to be turned into a grapevine deer has met a problem!  Mark came home and decided that the yard needed to be decorated.  My de-lighted deer which was now painted black caught his eye.  That and a funky-looking wire Christmas tree wound up being used as decorations near the driveway.  After a full can of spray paint, the deer is now white again. My vine covering experiment will have to wait for another time.  This reindeer has been called back into use!  We stripped the wire tree of all of its blown lights and put a small cluster of white lights at the top.  In lieu of snow (something we rarely get this far south!), we put some hay down on the ground.  At least our de-lighted wire reindeer would eat well! One string of lights around the whole little grouping was all that was needed to complete the look.  I had no desire to stay out all day decorating at this late of date. When I do that much work, it had better be for more than a couple of days!

 

The next thing Mark wanted to do was decorate the doorway.  The entryway had already been decked out on the inside but the outside was a tad dark to suit him.  I convinced him that a bit of garland and a few lights was all that was needed.  As I untangled a few strings of lights, I sent him down the lane a bit to gather a good bit of pine boughs.  What he brought back looked mightily like a full pine tree!  But it would work!  He snipped the "tree" into small workable pieces for me to wire together.  The garland only needed to be about eight feet in length so this task went quickly.  The lights were added and I wired the whole contraption above the door.  It looked quite nice!  Ahh....that was finished!  Admittedly, our decorations could never compete with our neighbor's down the street.  That house and yard is decorated with about a gazillion lights and all sorts of outdoor adornments.  It is beautiful but, personally, I will stick with just a few well-placed lights and maybe one or two ornaments.  Sometimes...simple is just better.  Besides, the Little Bayou House is not fancy..it is rustic.  A gazillion lights would not change that and I really would not want it changed in the first place!  I like it the way it is!



I believe all of this sudden desire to decorate the yard was in anticipation of the arrival of our son-in-law and daughter.  Robbie and Elizabeth were on their way here to spend the holidays with us!  Christmas is just so much better when kids come home to the Little Bayou House!  I am quite sure that tomorrow will see Elizabeth and me in the kitchen!  All sorts of cookies, candies and other goodies will soon fill the dining room table!  Yep, Christmas is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment