Monday, January 21, 2013

Critters as Teachers...


Ok, so now I think I understand the whole concept behind working as a team!  It took the critters of the Bayou to totally explain this to me.  You see, as humans, we may think we work together as a team but ninety percent of the time one does ninety percent of the work.  The rest of the "team" pulls just enough slack to appear busy.  They do not pull their fair share.  Then there are those that have no other purpose than to find fault or point fingers.  These are the ones that are quick to blame but never quick to solve any problem.  Hmmm..sound familiar?



This evening while I was on the pier, I noticed a group of Horned Grebes.  These little guys were all in their winter or non-breeding plumage so for a bit, I was confused as to which of the grebes they were. They look so different during this time of year!  After looking closely at the pictures that I took and comparing them with the so-called experts, I do believe I have identified them correctly.  Anyway, like I said, I watched a group of grebes.  There were five of the birds and they were on the hunt!  Grebes are notorious for being able to stay underwater for long periods of time but that as not what amazed me about these birds.  They were working as a team.  The five would gather together then separate into a circle.  They would look at each other then dive at just about the same time.  All would go under and literally corral the little fish that were under them.  I could see where the grebes were swimming in a circular motion under the water. The water would be swirling around like an eddy. The fish did not know where to go so they were an easy catch for the birds.   Smart birds.  There was no squabbling.  There were no lazy birds..all were working together.   Not once did any of the birds try to take a fish from another..instead they were trying to make sure all were fed.



I really enjoy watching the waterfowl that visit the Bayou during the winter months.  Each day brings a new discovery of some interesting fact that I never realized before. The birds depend on each other not only for protection provided by being a part of a group but for food, warmth and company.    Yep, we as humans sure could learn some positive lessons from the bayou critters..if only we would pay a little attention.

2 comments:

  1. A lot of folks need to take a lot of lessons for our furry little friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Michelle, you are so right. People could learn so much by observing critters. Respect being one of the most important. I admire all that you do to help animals of all sorts. Folks could also learn a lot by observing you and your respect for all animals. There is so much abuse and ugliness in the world..thank you for all of your attempts to change that.

    ReplyDelete