Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reflecting on the Morn

I am happy to say that I am on the mend from my recent illness and am able to get out and about a bit now.  This morning in spite of the freezing temperatures, I headed out the door!  My bird friends were calling since before the sun was even showing its face!  They were hungry!  As I headed down the board path with an armload of feeders and fresh seed, I noticed that I had a visitor on the mudflats!  A lone Great Blue Heron was busying himself with breakfast!  The feeders were all filled and hung for the chickadees, titmice and other assorted songbirds!  Then I headed to the pier!



I am not sure if the heron just did not see me or if he was accustomed to my presence but he did not even look up at me when I grew near.  This gave me a great opportunity to photograph this statuesque bird!  I watched as he stalked the bullminnows in the tide pools.  His height was of great advantage as it allowed him to see even the smallest of minnows.  The sunlight hitting on the water was his only problem.  As long as he was facing west, he could see fine but turning east put the morning sun right in his eyes.  Back and forth across the small pool he would wade.  Snatching the minnows with each pass.  I noticed how he compensated for the glaring sun by hurriedly shuffling back to the east shore.  This would give him more time heading west without the glare!  Smart bird!



Thinking about his problem with the reflecting light made giggle a bit as I was really amazed at that same lighting.  It was causing the bird to be reflected in the water!  I took several pictures of the bird with its image being perfectly mirrored on the still water.  Oh, how I love being back outside at daybreak!  Oh, how I love my critter friends!  Oh, how I love not being sick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment