Friday, August 9, 2013

The Forgotten Garden

Sometimes no matter how far you take the farm girl off the farm, you can never get that farm out of her.  I am still in Georgia visiting my sweet granddaughter and have no place to dig in the dirt!  Not that I particularly need to be digging in the dirt but if I was back home, I know that I would be planting something!  This morning before daybreak, I made my self a cup of hot chocolate (yes, I know it is summer but I really wanted hot chocolate!) and headed out to back deck of my son and daughter-in-law's house.  It is lovely out there in the early morn.  Behind their house is a small pond and I can hear geese fly in to get their breakfast.  This brings to mind the Bayou and pier.  After a bit, I got up to wander about their back yard.  Since the neighboring yard is opened up into theirs, I was able to meander around that area as well.  This house is vacant at the moment so there was no one to fuss at me as I poked around trying to get a good view of the little pond.


In the back corner of the neighboring yard, I came across an abandoned garden.  At one time, this had evidently been someone's special place..perhaps a tiny place to meditate.  In one corner sat a small concrete bench covered with weeds and vines. A birdbath had been upended by the elements or some animal.  Potted plants were overgrown and poorly nourished.  Assorted pots and garden plaques were strewn around the site.  Oh, my heart ached to clean up the area and make the small garden back into the place of peace and beauty that it evidently once was.  It was all I could do to refrain from pulling weeds and righting the birdbath!  Instead, I just had to walk away from this corner of the yard.  I had no right to touch anything here even though my thoughts were only of improvement.  Until this house is either rented or sold, the yard will most likely stay in disarray.  I never knew it would bother me so much to leave a garden untended.


I headed back to the deck to watch for the geese. Perhaps if I took my mind off the forgotten garden, I would not feel so miserable..at least until tomorrow morning when I come out to watch the sunrise.  It is probably a good thing that we will be heading back to the Bayou in a couple of days.  Otherwise, I might just be caught trespassing, albeit, with the good intentions of beautifying an untended garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment