Thursday, October 24, 2013

Good thing it wasn't a snake!

Have you ever had one of those times when you couldn't find something?  That happened to me today.  I knew I put something up in a safe place (also known as..a place where I could easily find it) only to discover that I forgot where I put it.  Hmmm?  It was lost.  I looked everywhere.  All of the usual "good places" were searched but to no avail.  I just had no idea where I had put it.

The "it" in question is a bag holding Mark's banjo picks.  I had put the banjo back in the case and back in the box in which it was shipped.  I figured that would protect it while he was out of town.  The picks and tuner should have been placed with the banjo but for some strange reason, I chose not to do this.  I chose to put it in one of those special places!   Well, this evening when he wished to practice the banjo, he got it out of the case.  No picks.  "Do you know where my picks are?" he questioned me.  Sure!  They are right there with the banjo!  Contrary to my thoughts, the picks were nowhere to be found.  Ugh!  What had I done with those things?  I searched.  I looked the room over and then some.  My sweet sister-in-law was here and joined in the search.  The three of us, Mark, Cynthia and I, all searched the Little Bayou House.  No picks.  After about an hour of frantically looking, Mark decided to practice without the picks.  Cynthia and I refused to give up.  Those picks had to be somewhere!

Finally in desperation, I flopped down on the floor to ponder the situation.  I just knew that I did not unintentionally toss those things in the garbage!  Seated on the floor near the door of the bedroom, I looked up at Cynthia.  "Girl, I must be losing my mind.  I put those things somewhere safe just a few days ago.  What did I do with them?"   She giggled.  "They are somewhere in a secure place!"  Yeah, right..somewhere so secure that I could not find them.  Then the "duh" moment!  The head slapping, I feel stupid moment. About ten inches from my head, hanging on the doorknob was the brightest blue bag from the music store.  In that bag, the picks.  Each of us had passed through that door several times.  Each time we were within inches of that thing!  How did we ever miss something so bright?


There is an old Southern idiom that says "If it had been a snake,  it would have bitten you!"  This is often used during those moments when something is within arm's reach but for some reason is overlooked.  Yep, it is a good thing that this bag is not a snake, otherwise, we would have all been bitten!  It is strange that our minds sometimes do not let us see what is right in front of our faces!


No comments:

Post a Comment