Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Visitor


I occasionally write about my cousin, Michelle.  I stand in awe of her ability to befriend most any animal. She not only feeds a multitude of ducks and geese but, also, the squirrels, bluebirds, hummingbirds and any other critter that finds itself hungry. Why..she even holds the feeders for the hummers!  Critters just seem to know that she would never harm a one of them. 

A beautiful hawk that came to visit my cousin, Michelle.

Today, she took pictures of a hawk that visited her yard.  The bird flew around her while she was out walking as if begging to be her pal!  The hawk had no fear as it landed on her fence and even on the ground.  Whether this bird actually wanted to become friends or whether it was scouting for a free meal is anybody's guess. Perhaps it realized that with all of the other critters coming in for a meal, its quest for prey would be simple!  I am quite sure that the hawk would make quick work of one of the grey squirrels that raid the bird feeders!

A hawk visiting my cousin, Michelle's yard.  Notice the mockingbird that is sitting next to the hawk!  Such a great picture!

Still..knowing Michelle, it won't be long before she is holding the hawk.  Never one to fear any critter, she will most likely be friends with the bird by the end of the week!  What I want to see is how in the world she will make it understand that the other critters are off limits.  Will it be possible for her to convince a hawk to eat from the feeders side by side with the geese?  With Michelle..I would not put it past her.  If anyone can do it..she can! Keep in mind that she will pick up a copperhead snake or hand feed an alligator!  Yep, she does, indeed, have a way with the critters!

The pictures in this post were taken by Michelle Hengen and belong to her.  She was very kind to let me borrow them for your enjoyment.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Cuz! Very nice story and truth be known, I have held and slept with a hawk just like this caring for it overnight (till I could take it to the rescue the next day) and had him sleeping next to me in bed. Unfortunately Hawkeye passed away a week later from his injuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that! You have the biggest heart of anyone I know! God will bless you for being so kind to His animals. You are always there to lend a helping hand to any in need.

      Delete