Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Twins!

Nutria Rats are probably one of the most despised animals that crawl around in the marshes here on the Coast.  Not many folks like them or even tolerate them.  These critters even have a bounty on them!  The going rate is around $5 per tail.  Yep, you heard that right..per tail.  No one wants the entire Nutria Rat, they just want to have proof that you killed the critter.  This seems sort of sad even if they are a problem.  You see, Nutria Rats cause a lot of damage to the marshes.  They have an extreme taste for the roots which undermines the entire "fabric" that holds the marsh together.  Once the root system is severely damaged, the marsh quickly erodes.  Soon the entire area is nothing but mudflats and eroded ground.  The Nutria was brought in to be used by furriers and then allowed to run free.  As adults they do not have a lot of predators. Alligators seem to be the only thing that has a taste for them and with most folks so ready to rid the marshes of gators, the Nutria Rats multiply at a rampant rate.  Hmmm..seems most likely that no one is happy.  The critters are occasionally used as food but I heard one person say that "they taste just like rat!"  Now how in the world did he discover that fact? Ummm..no, I do not want to know.  Still, I have no desire to eat a Nutria Rat!




For the past few days, I have heard a wee animal calling in the marsh.  At times, it sounded like the poor baby was not able to hold its head above the water as I could hear a lot of gurgling with the cries.  Today as I slipped down to the pier to catch the sunrise, I happened upon a small family out for breakfast.  Mama Nutria Rat had her twins learning the fine art of gnawing marsh roots.  As I stepped up on the pier, Mama squeaked a warning to the twins and slid into the water.  She made an effort to splash as much as possible while hoping to distract my attention.  The twins sat perfectly still just a few feet from me. I was able to get a few pictures even through the early morning darkness before Ms. Ez came barreling down onto the pier.  Once the old dog made her appearance, Mama Nutria went berserk!  She started wallowing around in the shallow water as if she was hurt.  The little ones moved across the mud to a spot near the marsh.  There was a sort of tunnel through the marsh that led to their nest.  I knew Mama Nutria Rat had nested at the base of a large Palmetto just a few yards from the pier. Once the little ones felt secure, they made a dash for their nest!  Mama Nutria turned and dove under the water.  She went near the outer edge of the marshline and swam a good hundred or so feet before turning into the marsh.  She had taken a long route back home to check on those little ones!






What a tale the little ones had to tell Mama when she returned!  They had faced the monster and won!  I wish to assure Mama Nutria and her little ones that I meant them no harm.  I won't collect any bounty on their tales.  Someone else will have to snare these animals, for here, they are safe. The twins were so adorable with their little webbed feet and beady eyes.  Some day, I may regret letting them have free reign of the marsh but for now, they have my blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment