Sunday, November 24, 2013

A different tree and a very different story.

Yesterday's story told of how a tree can cause tremendous damage and harm by falling.   My brother is still cutting his way through the massive oak that fell in his yard.  The sheer size of the tree will cause his cleanup to be an ongoing process.  How he will ever cut through the four to five feet of trunk is beyond me.  He has the best attitude, though, and is looking at this as a year's supply of firewood.  Today's tree story is quite different from yesterday's.  It involves a tiny tree of only about four inches in height instead of four feet in diameter.  It, also, is a "feel-good" heartwarming type of story.

My son, Michael, and I were out for a hike around the hillside this afternoon.  I had an idea of another art project and needed some driftwood pieces.  Since part of my hike would take me through so pretty rough territory, I asked that he join me.  I figured that with him along, the coyotes or wild hogs would not be a real threat.  We gathered a good bit of driftwood and then were sidetracked by Sweet Gum balls (seedpods).  I started gathering a number of the seedpods to use in some future project!  I did not notice that he had wandered a good bit away from me until I had filled my box with the prickly balls.  When I caught up with him, he tossed a few items into the box and we headed home.  Once there, I started sorting my treasures and cleaning the wood.  He disappeared outside.


After about ten minutes, Michael tapped me on the shoulder.  In his hand, he had a red Christmas ornament and a small clay flower pot.  He had obviously dug up a tiny cedar tree that was not more than four inches tall and potted it in the two inch flower pot.  I guess I looked a bit confused because he explained his actions.  "This is the little tree's first Christmas just like it is Mary Ruth's first Christmas.  The tree has to grow to hold the ornament.  By the time she is a teenager, the tree will be large and she can have her very own real Christmas Tree."   Well, that did it!  I was a bit overwhelmed to say the least!  What a sweet thing to do!  You see, Mary Ruth is his niece..my first grandbaby.  She is a tiny thing that will be celebrating her first Christmas this year and Michael wanted to mark it as something special in his own way.  Michael, being a man of few words, never makes a big fuss over anything and this, well, this was just touching!

The Little Tree is the first decoration for the Christmas season in the Little Bayou House.  It will set the theme for all the others this year.  That tiny sapling will welcome in the warmth and joy of the holidays and then will be cared for each year until a sweet baby grows into a lovely young lady.  Her very own Christmas Tree..one that will grow with her each year.  Gosh, uncles are pretty amazing men!  And one sweet baby girl obviously has her Uncle Michael wrapped around her little finger!

No comments:

Post a Comment