Friday, November 8, 2013

My "cup of tea"!

Ahh, yes!  My lovely Pineapple Sage is in bloom!  This is the first year that I have had any luck growing this super useful plant and I am thrilled to see the red blossoms as that means it is healthy!  The Pineapple Sage is a plant grown usually in Mexico and Guatemala where it is used extensively in herbal medicines.  It has been said that Pineapple Sage is useful in treating anxiety and high blood pressure.  The sage leaves and flowers are edible and have a decidedly fruity scent and flavor.  It can be used in any number of dishes from breads to main dishes and most everything in between!  The leaves can be steeped in water or in (my favorite for winter!) apple juice to make a tasty and healthy tisane!



The Pineapple Sage can grow up to four feet or so in height although mine is still quite small.  I planted mine in pots so I could "baby" it for the first year.  Even after the frost kills it to the ground, it should grow back in the spring.  Since mine are in pots, I will try to overwinter some just to have fresh herbs to use during the colder months ahead.  This summer when I was drying some of the leaves, I pushed a few stems in a Mason jar of water and set it on the window ledge.  It was a happy surprise when just a few days later, roots appeared!  Each of the cuttings survived and now fill two long troughs. My hopes are to some day have a nice greenhouse to grow herbs all winter long.  The Pineapple Sage will be one of the first to find a home in such a place!  In the meantime though, it will have to be happy residing in the hotbed alongside of the Thai Basil, Lemon Balm and Cilantro!  More of this wonderful herb will be rooted and added to the Herb Garden in the coming weeks.

For those adventurous souls who would like to try something a bit different yet delightful, bring a quart of water to boil, remove from heat and add about a half cup of fresh Pineapple Sage leaves.  Let this steep for fifteen minutes and then add the juice of a half of lemon.  Strain and sweeten with honey.  The tisane can be enjoyed warm or iced.  If you ask me, this is one of the most refreshing drinks!


No comments:

Post a Comment