Monday, November 18, 2013

The "Screatures"!

Years ago, I remember my grandfather telling me a story about the "Lost Boys of the Swamp".  His tale told of how two fishermen were doing a bit of late evening fishing near the Bayou.  As the sun started to set in the west, the fishermen heard what sounded to them like a couple of young boys that had lost their way in the swamp.  With darkness falling, the boys became frightened and started wailing.  Their mournful calls filled the fishermen with despair and they searched the swamps.  This was done to no avail as they could not find the boys.  After searching for quite some time, the men sadly left the Bayou and went home.  From that day on whenever they fished late in the evening, they could hear the woeful calls of the lost boys.  Grandpa's story went on to explain that the calls were that of a bird known as a Limpkin.  This bird is found down in the Everglades of Florida so I am assuming that his story took place somewhere other than my Bayou.


Still, there are calls at night that anyone with a vivid imagination (who else..me?), might construe as being lost boys.  Starting in late fall and running through the winter, mournful calls can be heard echoing across the marsh.  I have told (scary) folks that these are Banshees!  Or that these are, indeed, some poor lads that lost their way in the marshes and walk the Bayou forevermore.  I must admit, there are a lot of folks out there that listen to my fully fictional tales and believe every word!


The calls do happen but they are far from being lost souls.  These are the Loons that migrate here during the late fall. They will spend winter filling our Bayou with great tales of eerie things!  Just let one yell across the marsh at the opportune time!  Any folks that happen to be in the yard look at me with big eyes and ask the obvious question.  "What was that?"  A year or so ago, one niece posed that very question and received the well-prepared answer of "Banshee!"  She was a tad nervous and rambled on about bayou creatures that screech.  Her next sentence came out a bit twisted and she called them "Screatures".  Well, it makes sense!  Since that time, Screatures have visited the Bayou every winter!  I love the name!  It is perfect!  Kammie always makes me smile with her visits and with her charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment