Thursday, December 19, 2013

Let me have a little goodwill

Christmas carols are ringing through the Little Bayou House from sun up to sun down.  The familiar phrases bounce around in my head even when I am out of hearing range of the music.  "Deck the halls with boughs of holly", "Silent night, holy night,  All is calm, all is bright" and "Of peace on Earth, goodwill to men" run through the brain as I do chores both inside and outside the house.  The music will continue to play throughout the Christmas Season.  It just seems to be the thing to do.

Today, Michael and I headed to the pier.  It was gorgeous out.  The sun was shining, the temperature had warmed nicely and there was just a mere hint of a breeze.  I had not had the opportunity to be on the pier in some time and it seemed as if the water was calling to me.  As we reached the end of the pier, that water was far, far away from the shore.  The north wind from the night before had caused an extremely low tide.  There would be no fishing today!  Then I spied something white near the shore..TRASH!  Oh, my goodness.  Some (for lack of a better term) stupid person had thrown an empty jug over into the water.  Why, oh, why must people have nothing better to do than toss their garbage in the waters of the Bay?  This is something that truly irks me.  I try my best to scoop out anything that washes up to the pier, but a lot of things stay just a bit too far for me to reach.  With the low tide, the boat would have proved most unhelpful in retrieving the garbage.  There was not a lot I could do.  Michael did fish out a few other items that were close to the pier but that jug and an old tire were glaring at me from a distance.  My faith in the intelligence of  humanity plummeted once again.  Are folks just too stupid to see that every piece of trash..every water bottle, every beer can, every old tire..creates problems for Mother Nature?  Yep, I do get infuriated at the lack of commonsense and respect.


Please, Lord, grant me the ability to have some inkling of goodwill toward men, women and children that cannot respect your Earth even though I find their behavior entirely atrocious!


No comments:

Post a Comment