Thursday, December 5, 2013

Rope-work..or Braided Boat Bumpers!

Today, I was moving things about in our living room in hopes of getting the room decorated for Christmas. This included a good bit of "undecorating" before ever getting started with the Christmas stuff.  Our house looks a lot like what most folks call a fishing camp as it holds a lot of things related to fishing or boating.  Anything that I find interesting about the Bayou is also included in the day-to-day decor.  One of the items that was removed from its everyday hook was a braided boat bumper that my husband made a few years back.  This thing has been forever hanging on one of the huge posts that goes from the floor to the ceiling in the room.  As I took it down, I marveled at the skill it took to create such a essential tool for use on a boat.  The bumper is something that, although is important, is often overlooked.  It is used to protect the boat from being damaged during docking or going through the locks on the river.  The skill involved in making the bumper was at one time something that was passed from generation to generation.  Sailors and fishermen took pride in their rope-work.  Sometimes the well-tied knot was crucial in saving lives during a storm when outside help was days away.   Knowledge in knot tying and ropes in general was deemed highly important.  (Grandpa was in the Navy before he married Grandmother.  He taught me several knots and to this day, I use them.) The artistry of rope-work is fast becoming a dying art.


The bumper Mark made is fascinating.  The preciseness of each loop and each twist of rope shows that skilled hands knotted the rope.  As a artist, it makes sense that I am interested in the ins and outs of such craftsmanship.  Ideas whirled through my head!  How could I incorporate this new found interest into my artwork? I have the perfect instructor to teach me all that I need to know about this compelling new phase in my crafting!  Move over wimpy twine macrame projects..the new (old) art of sailors' rope-work macrame is about to take your place!

No comments:

Post a Comment