Thursday, January 2, 2014

Oh, my goodness!

I was cleaning out the drawers in the buffet when I came across something that had been tucked away so very long ago.  Obviously, this treasure had been slipped in the drawer during some renovation of the Little Bayou House and had been residing under the tablecloths ever since.  There it sat protected from all harm.  I had to sit down and stare at the find for a while.  It brought back a flood of memories. The treasure was in the form of a photograph.  It was taken years and years ago back on the farm.  My sister and I were examining our Easter baskets while in the front yard of the old farm house.  I vaguely remember when the photograph was taken.  My grandparents had come to the house early that Easter morn to have breakfast.  After breakfast, all five kids rushed outside to hunt the eggs that we dyed with food coloring the night before.  Our grandparents followed with their camera and snapped pictures of all the action. The Easter Bunny had taken all of the eggs we had dyed and had hidden them in the front yard.   At the time, it never occurred to me that this ritual might be a bit absurd!  Why in the world would that rabbit take eggs that we dyed and hide them?  Why in the world did we dye the eggs all sorts of bright colors?  Why in the world was it so all-fired important that we find those eggs?  Think about it for a moment.  We lived on a farm!  We had enough eggs to feed an army!  We surely did not need to scavenge around in the yard to hunt some more.  Still it was one of those things that seemed highly important in our lives and, hey, it was an excuse to have a bit of fun!


Anyway as I stared at the picture, a certain warmth came over me.  Those were fun times.  My sister and I were so very different but we shared a bond that only sisters can.  That bond has seen us through thick and thin.  Like any sisters, we have had our spats, this is true, but no one had better mess with the sister!  We would never hesitate to jump into a tussle feet first if it meant defending one another!  We can depend on each other.

The few minutes that I sat as looked at that photograph brightened my otherwise chore-filled day.  Had I not finally decided to clean that drawer, I would not have had a funny little smile on my face for the rest of the day!  Sisters..sometimes you just have to admit that it is pretty nice having them!

No comments:

Post a Comment