Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Remember our feathered friends!

So a bit of frigid weather has descended all the way to the Bayou.  It is definitely a tad chilly out there, Folks!  Bundle up when you venture outside and this comes by way of experience.  Not that I see much cold weather but merely because I did wander out a couple of times too many today.  Other than trips out to the woodpile, I had grand intentions of spending the entire couple of days inside doing nothing but baking.  Those who know me well will attest that this is my way of preparing and enduring most any storm from a hurricane to an ice storm.  Baking always seems to soothe the rattled nerves and has the added benefit of plying the taste buds with delightful tidbits.  But with most good intentions, things go awry.  I braved cold and headed out into the yard several more times.  Yep, unlike my son, Michael, who wandered the hillside in shorts and t-shirt sans shoes, I was wrapped up tight!  No ice was going to find its way down the back of my neck!


My additional trips outside were mercy expeditions.  As I stood staring at the Winter Wonderland that had suddenly replaced my Bayou, I noticed that a myriad of birds were trying to feed on one partially filled suet basket.  Their voices rang out loud and clear as the birds called for me to serve their breakfast.  I bowed to their wishes and braved not only the cold but the slick ice that had coated everything in sight.  Nigh on two inches of sleet had fallen overnight and made walking the hillside a tad treacherous. If not careful, one misstep could cause me to careen down the ice-coated board path and right into the Bayou itself.  I was smart!  I steered clear of the well-beaten path.  I chose the grass.  Even though it was still layered thickly with the frozen stuff, I did have a bit more traction.  My birds called!  I had to go.


Once the feeders were filled, bellies were rounded and all were happy.  Please do not forget to toss a bit of seed out for these hungry friends.  They can better face the cold with their tummies filled with suet and black oil sunflower seeds.  Oh, and while you are about it.  Fill that bird bath with some warm water. The birdbath here was frozen solid!  Nary a bird could take a drink!  Sometimes our feathered friends need a bit of assistance from us, so lend a bird a helping hand!  Then, once back inside, sit at the window and watch the show of birds come to eat.  It is quite entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment