Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I Can See Clearly..almost.

  Today's weather presented us with whiteout fog.   This was the type of fog that makes everyday things a bit eerie and can send shivers up the spine of the not so brave.  This was an all day fog.  Unlike most folks, I like fog.  There is just the right mysticism about it to make me creative.  The fact that it is drippy fog also helps with that creative thinking as I am housebound.   I did venture out several times just to break the monotony of being indoors but other than that, I worked on art pieces.



  One time when I was out and about the hillside, I noticed one of my friends perched high up in the dead pine.  At first it was difficult to identify just which of the large birds was using the tree as a roost since the fog shrouded the entire bird.  I could only make out the silhouette of the bird against the white background.  By the long legs and long beak, I knew it was a wading bird but it could have been any one of the egrets or herons.  After making Ms. Ez understand that she needed to tread quietly as to not scare the bird, we made our way down the hill to the Bayou.  The bird never once seemed disturbed at our presence.  Once we were near, I recognized this as the adult Great Blue Heron.  She has been hanging around the pines as of late so I am hoping she will nest nearby.



  I watched as the bird preened herself.  There was just enough moisture in the air to make the strokes of her bill more effective.  After settling her feathers all neatly, she fluffed out against the coolness of the fog and settled in for the duration of the day and most likely through the night.  Not much will rile her while she sits atop of the pine.  She will be safe and can sleep well tonight.  The fog will wrap itself around her and keep her well-cloaked.  Rest easy, my friend, rest easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment