Thursday, February 6, 2014

What an improvement!

A great improvement was made to the appearance of the old highchair in yesterday's post.  The addition of my sweet granddaughter turned the chair into the most elegant of thrones to ever be sat upon.  Of course, she could have sat upon any old chair and still been radiant but to me, the old highchair seemed almost jubilant to be holding a little one after all of these years.  Mary Ruth is the fourth generation of babies to use the chair and of those four, three of the little ones were named "Ruth".  Of course, it would have been a tad strange if the fourth was named that since he is my son (also known as, Mary Ruth's daddy!)



While chowing down on some of my homemade chicken and broccoli soup, Mary Ruth was steadily grasping for anything and everything that was within her reach. Since this kitchen has not seen a little one in quite some time, it is not exactly "baby-proof".  My sweet daughter-in-law was forever apologizing for little hands clasping onto the curtains, ladles and wooden spoons.  I just smiled and told her that as long as Mary Ruth was not in danger, she could play with anything she wanted.  It bothered me not that something might accidentally be broken.  This was learning play and I was not about to squelch that in the least.  Finally, my son found the perfect toys!  He handed his sweet little one a homegrown grapefruit and lemon.  Then a few canning lid rings were placed on the tray.  These few items kept the little girl quite entertained for some time!  We decided that she was learning the fine art of home canning.  Perhaps with the lemon and grapefruit, she was going to make a fine marmalade!

It sure feels good to have a little one in the Little Bayou House after all of these years.  Mary Ruth being here has breathed life back into the old place!  Yep, I do believe this has been quite an improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment