Every morning just after daybreak, I go to the back door to feed Ms. Nycto and to the front door to feed Ms. Put. They have learned to tolerate each other as long as they stay a good distance from one another. It works well for them and, as of yet, I have no complaints. Ms. Nycto, the recent adoptee, has been dubbed "Mouth of the South" since she starts wailing as soon as she hears me stir about the kitchen. When I feed her, the meowing stops but any critter within earshot has bolted. I never see rabbits, fox or possums at the back door any more. I suppose they are not sure of that crazy, loudmouthed cat! Ms. Put, on the other hand, has learned that quiet is better. She knows the fine art of stalking prey requires silence. I really have to coax her to respond with an almost inaudible mew. Therefore, when I open the front door, it is not unlikely that I will find wildlife within a few feet.
This morning, as in every recent morning, a rabbit paid a visit to the lawn. She loves to eat the fresh cut grass that still is covered with the morning dew. The rabbit has become so familiar with Ms. Put and me that she no longer bounds off into the bushes. She may raise her head to inspect my actions but instead of fleeing, she keeps on munching. Smart rabbit! She knows that I have no intentions of harming her. This is all well and good except this past week, she laid claim to my front steps. A couple of days ago, I opened the screen door only to find a rabbit in the way! She would not budge! I nudged her gently with the door but, still, no movement. Ms. Put wondered why her food was not being served promptly and started to pace back and forth just inches away from the bunny. Hmmm? Does push come to shove? Should I just shove the rabbit off of the steps? I have never had such a defiant doe!
It took a few minutes of friendly coercion by both Ms. Put and me before Ms. Rabbit decided to move on to parts unknown...aka, the azalea bush about ten feet from the steps. Ms. Put's food was served but not before I had thoughts of the rabbit coming back for a share. I wonder. Is the rabbit eating Ms. Put's food? Perhaps tomorrow, I should stick around a bit and make sure that the cat is actually being fed and I am not doling out dollars feeding wild rabbits!

No comments:
Post a Comment