Sunday, July 6, 2014

Never-ending cycle

  It seems that sometimes there are things in life that go around in some extreme circle.  Where one part ends another just takes off and goes again.  I was out cutting grass this morning when I noticed a lovely black swallowtail butterfly flitting about the yard.  I, also, noticed that very same critter make an extended pit stop at the large fennel plant.  Hmmmm.  I know that the plant is covered with blooms but something seemed a tad amiss.  This critter was not attending the blossoms like it should. It was going for the leaves and stems.  Uh, oh. That is all I needed.  More caterpillars.



  I stopped the mower and watched the butterfly for a few minutes.  Yep, there were sure to be some tiny caterpillars in a few days.  She made approximately ten more stops and deposited the tiny eggs on the stems of the fennel.  I had a decision to make.  Did I want to rid the plant of the plant-chewing caterpillars or did I want to feed the "baby butterflies"?  I pondered this as I went back to pushing that lawnmower.  

  It was not to tough of a decision for me.  I like the butterflies and I am willing to sacrifice a few leaves to them.  In my mind, the butterflies do perform a needed service for the garden through their pollination of the plants.  To have this, I must allow the little ones to grow.  Besides, I love the beauty that these "flying flowers" add to the gardens.  So, the tiny critters will eat to their heart's content and my fennel will take a beating for a few days.  It has not hurt it in the past.  I suppose it will survive once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment