Friday, July 4, 2014

The Defiant One

  In nature, it is usually the norm for critters to stand up against foes no matter what the size difference.  The smallest of mice will rear up against a much larger coyote and attempt a defensive action when cornered.  This is only after the escape route has been blocked and there is no other choice.  Still, the small ones show a heap of bravery when confronted. 

  This afternoon, Son brought me a Mason jar.  The top was covered with a scrap of paper and topped tightly with his hand.  Hmmm, I pondered if I really wanted to see what was in that jar.  Since I was standing in the kitchen and this was most likely some critter, I told him to tote that thing right on back outside!  I followed him out the door to see what fine gift he was giving.  While we were walking, he told me that Ms. Nycto, the new cat, had cornered a cicada and was nigh on injuring it beyond its realm of health. He had rescued the poor bug and thought maybe I would like to photograph it before he released it.  Aww, how nice of him!  I sure would! We toted the critter out to the jasmine arbor and let it out of the bottle.  The critter happily crawled onto the post and, I can only imagine, breathed a sigh of relief.  After a few pictures, my attention turned to a new critter. Under the jasmine, a rather large Eastern Lubber Grasshopper made a clicking sound.  Uh, oh.  I knew that sound!  This unsavory character was calling for a mate.  Soon the garden would be eaten by every grasshopper that came to investigate the call.   





  I grabbed  a stick to rake the critter out from the far corner of the vines. That rascal decided that it was not going to be accosted by my weapon of choice.  I tried again.  This time I succeeded in flipping the critter over near the fence where I would be able to make quick work of it.  That would end the cycle of life of any future menacing grasshoppers.  These guys will eat every green thing that is available given the chance.  My task was not as easy as I thought it would be.  The critter decided to become quite defiant!  It flared out its wings showing the bright red underwings.  These are meant to appearing threatening to any enemies.  It is a warning that the critter can and will fight.  They can emit a foul-smelling and slightly toxic, foul-tasting foam.  Instead of backing down to its warning, I decided to continue the photography session.  Ahh!  Great photos!

  The two bugs were both interesting in different ways.  Also, different was my choice of their worth in the garden.  I have never had a problem with the cicadas but those grasshoppers are pain!  One lived...one died. Choices are sometimes difficult.  


No comments:

Post a Comment