Tuesday, July 8, 2014

To the Rescue!

  The garden was plagued with squash bugs this past week.  They were so awful that my squash plants met their untimely demise.  I miss them terribly.  I had gotten so used to being able to have squash readily available that I am now craving the yellow goodness at my supper table. It seems that there is just no "natural" or organic method of ridding the garden of these pests.  I tried just about every concoction that I could conjure but to no avail.  Short of splitting each stalk of the squash plant and pulling out the larvae, I had no defense plan.  No defense led to the demise.  One lone squash plant stood defiantly in the middle of the garden.  This was one die-hard plant!  It had worms in the stalk but still lingered while I had given up on defeating the bugs.

  This morning, however, I was met by a veritable army!  Soldiers had taken over guard duty of the garden.  A swarm of dragonflies had made themselves at home in the garden.  I felt so blessed!  The beautiful insects zipped about among the tomatoes, peppers and sole squash plant.  With each dart, one had its lunch.  The hungry eagles of the bug world were devouring every pest in sight.....even the squash bugs!!  How exciting!   I counted over twenty different dragonflies flitting about the plants. 



  The dragonflies had finally morphed from their nymph stage in the Frog Pond.  It took a seriously long time but, then again, it was at the perfect time!  Those squash bugs were devouring everything!  With the soldiers on duty, my garden will become bug-free and perhaps I can replant the squash.  Now.....if we could only get a rain!  


No comments:

Post a Comment