I say "Enough already with this nonstop raining!" If, indeed, it does not cease soon, I do believe that I shall have to put pontoons under the Little Bayou House! It would be so grand if we could redirect some of this moisture to areas that are in dire need of a bit of water but, since we cannot, it seems as if we shall have to deal the best we can. Today, once again, it rained..not a shower but a deluge, gully washer, downpour or whatever you wish to call it. In just over an hour, we received a little over two inches. While this does not seem to be a lot, add another two for today and then over five from yesterday. In the past four days, the rains have been virtually nonstop. We have taken to doing outdoor chores "when it is just a drizzle". Enough already!
Mark and I did manage to head to the pier late this evening for a final check on his skiff. The pump was working fine so there was little to do but it just felt good to get out of the house. I am going a bit stir crazy! While there, we pulled up the crab traps and noticed that the otters have feasted on our bait. The thought of fishing for more was squelched by one look at the water, though. The runoff caused by flooding north of us muddied the Bay beyond belief! Red clay washed from construction sites ran to the flooded creek into the Bayou and finally out into the Bay itself. What a mess! I am not used to seeing reddish colored water around the pier. I am quite sure that the salinity of the water is nil and all saltwater fish have made a hasty retreat out into the Gulf. Mark made the comment that come next week we will have to start fishing for freshwater catfish and bass. Green trout will be replacing our redfish and speckled trout! I am good with that as all are tasty.
The muddying of the waters, though, is not without a price. The crabs will move out as well and may not return to the Bayous for quite some time. I was hoping for a good season this year as I need to replenish the freezers. Well, one just has to take whatever comes and deal with it. Things could be far worse as a lot of roads are covered with water and even some folks' home are in danger of being flooded. The Little Bayou House sits high and dry and we have plenty to eat so all is well. I will count my blessings and be happy!

No comments:
Post a Comment