Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Just an idea!

  The Blue Jays were stirring up a ruckus this afternoon just before sunset.  I figured that a snake had made its way up into the old oak tree and was trying to catch a nap but could find no peace.  I pulled on my shoes and headed down to the Bayou's edge to take a gander.  Sure enough, a chicken snake was slipping along the rough limbs of the live oak and the jays were not happy, to say the least.  I watched for a few moments and then decided to let the snake fend for itself.  Since it was a nice large one of about five feet in length, is should have no problem dealing with the irritating birds.  My attention had been pulled in another direction.

  Just past the snaky tree, the wild persimmon trees were loaded with the slightly ripening fruit.  Dozens of the pale orange blobs had been knocked to the ground by the marauding coons and possums.  None were quite ripe enough to eat but it would not be long before I can have a snack while hiking!  At least, I can if the critters leave me any!  


  A thought occurred while I was peering at the persimmons.  These are the tiny, wild persimmons and I have not done much with them other than sneaking a handful now and again.  What if I picked them now before the critters ate them all?  Would they ripen like their larger cousins?  The large cultivated persimmons will ripen on a sunny window ledge, will these?  I figure that I need to try.  I miss having the large persimmons from the farm and then later from my Aunt and Uncle's place.  I miss persimmon jam and jelly.  I miss persimmon shortcake.  I miss persimmon cookies.  

  Yep, I think Son and I will head down tomorrow and harvest a bucketful of the little gold nuggets and give this a try!  Free food is always good and wild persimmons are just that...free food...deliciously sweet, free food!




No comments:

Post a Comment