Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The "Evil" Onion!

  Mark and Son will be the first to condemn the poor onion.  Neither of them are fond of finding an onion in their food.  Mark is not that way as long as the onions are cooked but let a raw one slip onto his hamburger and it is immediately flipped my way.  I, on the other hand, love onions....cooked or otherwise.  I could just about put them in any dish and be happy.  Still, these two guys would most likely describe the onions as bad...almost evil!  


  Today I was preparing two stuffed sweet potatoes for supper.  Darling Daughter was going to stop by after work and I try to have supper made for her when she comes.  She is one that likes to "eat healthy" and is a vegan.  I try to eat healthy but occasionally have some type of seafood or poultry.  The stuffed sweet potatoes would satisfy both of our diets...vegan for her and healthy for both of us.  As I was preparing the meal, I remembered that I had a piece of red onion in the frig.  This would add a good bit of flavor to the topping that I was making.  So far, I had sauteed asparagus tips, pumpkin seeds and garlic.  To that I added, cranberries and pineapple and seasoned it all with Creole Seasoning.  This was going to be fantastic!  The two sweet potatoes had been baking in the oven for over an hour and were nice and syrupy. With the topping and a dollop of butter, all that was needed was some raw onion and raw bell pepper.  I cut several thin slices of the onion before I realized that a face was looking at me.  Ok...that is weird! Could onions really be evil?  I tasted a bit...Nah...onions are good!  


  The sweet potatoes turned out well and Elizabeth and I enjoyed our supper together.  I am glad that I have someone to share these types dishes.  I am glad to occasionally have her come to supper.  It makes the day perfect!  Oh, and she seemed to think the onion resembled an owl....maybe...just maybe but evil?....never!  Onions could never be that.  What a happy accident!


No comments:

Post a Comment