Saturday, November 7, 2015

Out you go!

  In spite of the drizzly rain shrouding the Bayou, I headed to the pier this morning.  It felt strange being outside without the companionship of the old dog, so once again, my hike was cut short.  Back inside, I flung open the windows. The temperatures had risen to a warm mid-eighties so any breeze would be welcome.  It was far too warm for this the first week of November!  If I was to get in any sort of holiday spirit, I needed a bit of a frost on the marsh!  Well, that wasn't happening so the rain would just have to suffice. Not that I am complaining as I actually love rainy days.  It gives me a good excuse to play in the craft room.

  Just as I raised the final window, I noticed a flash of orangish red to my left.  Hmmm?  I thought perhaps a monarch butterfly had made a late appearance in the garden but I was highly mistaken.  Instead of being outside, a large red wasp was crawling about on the INSIDE of the window screen.  Well now!  That would never do!  I pondered on how I was to (gently) remove the critter.  I sure did not wish to be on the receiving end of a nasty sting but neither did I want to kill the insect. These can help out in the garden....when they stay outside in the garden (and not inside on my screen!).  The old glass and cardboard wedge came into play.  Once I cupped the glass over the bee, it was an easy task to slip the sheet of cardboard between the wasp and screen.  My critter was captured and could safely be released outside.  AND I did it all sting-free!



  Son came into the room just as I was capturing the wasp.  I was surprised to hear him say "That guy was inside hunting for a place to make a nest since you got rid of all of them in the greenhouse."  Yup, most likely but inside the house is not the place for him...just like inside the greenhouse.  Those stinging critters can find someplace else to make their nests!  Some place where I am not apt to disturb them and get myself stung!



No comments:

Post a Comment