Friday, November 27, 2015

Spirit of the Bayou

  There is nothing like the call of a Common Loon to stir thoughts of living in the wild for many of us.  I love to sit in the mist of the early morning to hear their calls to one another.  The almost haunting sound echoes across the Bayou evoking that spirit of the wild and unknown. To be honest, there is nothing "common" about this bird.  Although, its usual strikingly beautiful plumage has already been molted before their migration, the loons are still some of my favorite of the water fowl that visit the area. I think they are just as beautiful in their non-mating plumage as any other time but it is not their appearance that draws me to them.  It is that eerie set of calls that fills the night and pre-dawn hours that stirs my imagination.  I can sit for hours and listen to the wails of the loon.


  Several tales are attached to the loon.  I have written several times about the loons and my love for them.  Now, I find a tale that warms the heart a bit.  According to one Native American legend, a blind man was granted sight by a loon and in return the man created a lovely necklace of white feathers for the bird. All loons now wear this gift in the form of their plumage. While we all know that the bird cannot perform these miracles, the point of the story is more of helping one another, giving from the heart and showing appreciation for kind acts.  The world needs this now more than ever.  

  Another tale relates how the loons' calls inspired the creation of the flute.  I can fully understand how this might have been possible and there is a "loon" flute that does indeed mimic the calls.  I am so tempted to buy one.  I am not a musically inclined person but hearing anything resembling the loons would be nice.  Maybe this will be a gift to myself and I can practice down on the pier at dawn!  At least then, no one would be disturbed by my attempts to duplicate the birds' calls and my lack of musical talent.


  I thought of all of these things while on the pier this evening.  The loons have started their migration to the area.  Where in recent years we have only had a single visitor, today Mark and I counted nigh on fifteen!  I do hope they stay for a while and grace the Bayou with their mystical serenades.  




No comments:

Post a Comment