Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Give it time....

 Son is always telling me to be patient with my garden.  "Give it time, Mom." he exclaims every time I wish to yank some pitiful looking plant from its nice bed in the garden soil.  "It will grow." says the man of few words.  These few words have, more oft than not, rung true.  From the citrus trees that froze to the ground to the carrot seeds that do not wish to sprout, he always chides me at being too hasty.  I suppose I am.  I grow impatient with a garden that does not wish to grow.   

  At the moment, I am patiently (or rather impatiently) awaiting the winter garden to start producing.  While I yearn for fresh greens and root crops, I am learning to listen to Son's advice.  I am giving it time.  I am also giving plenty of time to the "leftover" summer garden that refuses to yield to the cooler weather.  Mark and I were wandering about the gardens this afternoon when he pointed out the numerous bell peppers that were dangling from dark green branches.  These plants have produced all summer and are now, here in December, still providing far more peppers than I can possibly use.  The freezer is full of the diced peppers and everyone in the neighborhood has received as many as they can stand.  The bell peppers are producing more than any proverbial "nonstop" zucchini plant ever has!  BUT...to top off our wonders of wonders...the tomato plants are still making tomatoes.  This is almost unheard of in the grand month of December!  The plants, themselves, look a bit worse for wear but there are fruits dangling from the branches!  From the looks of it, fresh tomatoes from the garden will compliment our Christmas dinner. 



  While I await the broccoli and beets, I shall be pleasantly satisfied with the continued summer garden.  I suppose it is a good thing that I listened to the advice of Son.  "Give it time, Mom." was also uttered when I wished to yank out all of the pepper and tomato plants to make room for more carrots!



No comments:

Post a Comment