Monday, May 13, 2019

Just A Relaxing Moment Between Friends

  It is no secret that I have a certain fondness for the critters of the Bayou.  We seem to share a deep friendship.  In fact, I like them a lot more than most folks.  People tend to dramatize everything.  They are too eager to get their shorts in a wad and stomp around like flipping brats.  For this reason, I prefer the company of animals.  You know where you stand with them from the get-go and they are as easygoing as one could want. 


  Take this morning, for example.  While I waited on the old dog to finish his business, I ventured to the shore end of the pier.  There, I watched as a broad-headed skink scampered about trying to catch his breakfast.  This skink had no problem with me watching his every move just two feet from him.  The skink knew that I meant no harm so he went about his chores without a care in the world.  Then, as the sun warmed the pier planks, the skink plopped down to soak up a bit of that warmth.  To assure that his full belly was on the board, he started twisting his feet up over his back.  First one, then another until all four were up.  The two front feet grasp each other as did the two back.  The skink was so sure that he and I could remain sociable, that he had put himself in a vulnerable position even though I was a possible predator.  

  The skink seemed to be letting me know that all is well between us and differences matter not when true friendship is there.  Life on the Bayou is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment