Saturday, May 11, 2019

Purple or Orange?

  A while back, I painted the interior of the french doors a deep purple.  In fact, it was called "Proper Purple".  Why?  I don't know other than I just felt like it.  Mark took me to the local building supply place and I bought a gallon of purple paint much to the vexation of the gentleman mixing my paint.  During the course of the transaction, he nonchalantly made small talk which included "What are you painting purple?"  He was surprised that I said "doors".  Then, he proceeded to ask a dozen questions about why I would do such.  I tried to be polite about his nosiness but he kept prodding.  The only answer that seemed to get him off the subject was a rather short "They are my doors."    That said, I painted the doors and have been immensely satisfied with the color which is strange since the color has not been a particular favorite before.  I felt like purple so I painted purple.

  Fast forward to today.  Yep.  I pulled out that gallon of purple paint and slathered two nice coats on the front door...exterior!  Oh, my!  How lovely the door looks now!  I am sure to get the odd looks and haughty remarks from visitors to the Little Bayou House.  Does it bother me?  Nope.  Not at all as this is my door.  Sometimes you just have to take a chance and live a bit. 

The rain made it impossible to get a full photo of my purple door!

  The two menfolk that live in the Little Bayou House have never really questioned my choice of colors or decorating.  They more or less ignore what is done.   Mark is so used to coming home to some oddity that he takes it all in stride.  He said he never knows what will be next and it probably does not hurt that he is slightly color-blind.  Son, on the other hand, says it does not bother him what color I paint things as long as he is not doing the painting.  Fair is fair, I guess.


  Now, is there some untold meaning behind the purple doors?  Is there an ulterior secret that the color represents?  Nope to both questions.  The first doors to be painted purple were on a whim and they pleased me.  Today's door was painted purple because I had a choice.  The door was shabby and needed refreshing so I painted using leftover paint.  There were two gallons of paint handy... "Proper Purple" and "Bright Pumpkin".  The orange was leftover from the inside of a hutch that I painted this last fall.  Now...did I want a subdued, regal purple door or did I want to live in a pumpkin?  I opted for the "Proper Purple"!  Hmmm...I wonder what else I can paint?  I do have that orange.......


No comments:

Post a Comment