Saturday, May 4, 2019

The "Killer Tree"

  Down along the marsh edge right next to where the Bayou makes a big bend, the trees grow thick and tall.  We cannot get in there to clear any of this area due to the many cottonmouths that lurk in the marsh.  I suppose we could do this in the winter when the snakes go in hiding but then, well, it is cold and I do not particularly like getting wet and muddy and shiver myself to pieces.  So, the whole area is left sort of wild and woolly.

  It is in this spot where the "Killer Tree" grows.  This tree is definitely "poison" and bad news for anyone that gets near.  Actually, I dubbed the tree by this name and by no fault of the poor tree.  You see, it is actually a pine tree.  It is a nice size pine that, by itself, has never done anyone one bit of harm.  It is just playing host to something that could potentially make one think the tree is out to get them.  From the bottom to the top, the entire tree is covered with a huge...HUGE...poison ivy vine.  So far, I have not had a reaction to the ivy (other than one time when we accidentally burned a vine) but, for those highly allergic, the vine covered tree could mean a heapin' amount of trouble. 



  In reality. this is the second such "Killer Tree" that was found on the hillside.  The first was nearer the shed and did present a problem for anyone that used my hiking trail.  I often pondered how to rid the tree of its wicked clinger but that problem was conveniently solved by Mother Nature, herself!  During one strong thunderstorm, a huge bolt of lightning struck and killed the pine tree and, consequently, killed the ivy vine.  Fried!  While this was not my first choice of a solution, it did work rather well.  Mother Nature for the win!  

  The Killer Tree and its clingy vine will just have to live as it is since I am not inclined to do much about it.  I do warn others not to get too close to the tree for both reasons...the ivy and the cottonmouths but, other than that, I ignore the problem.  Thankfully, it is far down in the marsh edge and out of the way.  



No comments:

Post a Comment