Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Healing Fennel!

As the summer garden has started to wane with the onset of a sudden cold spell, I have been trying my best to pick most of the seeds from the dying plants.  A few of the seeds will be saved for next spring's garden but most will be used in culinary attempts and herbal remedies.  One of my favorite seeds to save each year is from the Fennel plant.  This is one of those really neat plants to have in the garden as you can use most every part!  Also, if you leave just part of the root, it will keep growing year to year.  I have some of my original Fennels still growing from several years ago!  The Fennel seed is such an aromatic tidbit.  It smells mightily of licorice!  This aroma would account on why years ago, a few Fennel seeds were chewed after meals.  It would freshen the breath and help with all around dental care.  The seeds are great for digestion and is safe to use by both humans and animals.  There are no side effects that seem to bother anyone!



Personally, I find that a nice cup of Fennel/green tea relaxes me after a particularly busy day.  A mere half teaspoonful of fennel seeds steeped in a cup of green tea makes for quite the delightful bedtime drink.  This seed is also highly useful in treating a cold or the flu.  When brewed in conjunction with Star Anise, Ginger root and Cinnamon, the Fennel seed brew can help to loosen the congestion and ease coughs.  To combat sore throats, steep Fennel seed and a sliced lemon in water.  Once the mixture has cooled to lukewarm, strain and use as a gargle.  The Fennel seed has a soothing effect and the citrus is quite healing.



I hate to see my herb garden starting to falter but with the stockpile of seeds and dried leaves, I should be ready for all of the winter woes.  The Holy Basil, Sweet Basil, Ginger, Dill, Mint, Chives and Fennel  all did well in the new herb garden and the roots of these should overwinter under a hefty layer of mulch.  Bring on the cool weather!  My herbs are ready!




No comments:

Post a Comment