Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Great Impostor!


How deceiving appearance can be! This morning after the fog lifted, I noticed a swarm of little things flying over the Bayou. Termites! My goodness! This could not be good. I slipped on my shoes and trotted myself down to the marsh. Wow! There sure are a lot of them! I tried to decipher the source of this swarm..there had to be a beginning somewhere and I was sure hoping it was not my house! Geez, they were everywhere! Maybe they were not termites..that would be a blessing! If only I could catch one then I could identify the little culprit. They could be swarming ants..they do swarm and do have wings at times. Please let them be ants and not termites..I do not know why I would rather this except perhaps the ants won't decide my house looks like supper. I set out to capture one. These were rather elusive critters. The air was full of them but none could be found on the ground or any tree trunk..strange. I would have to nab one from midair. I must have looked like a wild woman as I bounced around the yard waving my hands. Finally! I caught one!..not in my hand but in my hair! I removed it carefully so I would not squish it beyond recognition. What was this?! This is not a bug! My termite was quite misidentified. This was not even a flying ant! This great impostor was a seed! A little fluffy seed that was being blown around by the slight north wind. I should really learn to wear my glasses more often..perhaps then my neighbors would not have the impression that they live across the Bayou from a crazy woman. My discovery made me happy..almost giddy..this was not termites! Seeds will not eat my house! Still curious as to the source, I now went on the hunt for a plant that was spreading its happy little self all over my yard. Near the pier, I spied a bush that until now, I had thought was covered with white blooms.(As I said, I really need to wear my glasses more often!) These were not blooms any longer but seed pods that had burst open and were spewing their cottony insides into the wind. It was snowing fluff!

I am sad to say that our siege of Monarch Butterflies is dwindling to a mere handful as they continue their migration. These, too, have been replaced with impostors. The Gulf Fritillary is visiting the same wild ageratums that the Monarchs frequented. They are much smaller but have the same orange and black coloring that is the trademark colors of the Monarchs. Their markings are different and not as elaborate but I think they are beautiful. Fritillaries are not as "people" friendly as the Monarchs, though. Monarchs have no fear of humans and will use a shoulder or head as a resting spot. Fritillaries, on the other hand, are a bit more fearful and tend to shy away. Still, as with all butterflies, they are welcome sights in my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment