Friday, November 26, 2010

Squirrel Eggs

















Yep, you read that right.."squirrel eggs"! Or "Cocoa Puffs"! Yep, you read that right, too! Now you might ask just what are "squirrel eggs" and just what do they have in common with a cereal named "Cocoa Puffs"? Answering the second question first, most likely nothing except if you had been in my family back some twenty five years or so ago and had been at my parent's home. At that particular time most of their grandchildren were always playing in their yard and in the surrounding woods. Two of the (then) little granddaughters were out playing when they happened upon a small mound of interesting objects! The youngest of these granddaughters immediately proclaimed "Cocoa Puffs"! that being her favorite cereal. She was a bit perplexed as to why there was a mound of cereal in the edge of the yard but still was totally convinced of the veracity of her discovery. The other granddaughter, being a few years older and much wiser, admonished her for the glaring mistake. "No, no! Those are not "Cocoa Puffs"! Don't eat them!" she warned her younger cousin. "Those are squirrel eggs! We must let them hatch!" This story has been a source of much teasing for these two cousins even now that they are grown with children of their own. The "Cocoa Puffs" and the "squirrel eggs" that they had found were none other than rabbit droppings! For any who per chance do not know, rabbit droppings do bear a strong resemblance to the cereal. The younger cousin was not much more than about five years old so the mistake would be easy to understand. I must admit though, the squirrel egg thing might be a stretch. Hopefully, the older cousin was merely trying to protect the younger and made up the story of squirrel eggs so the other did not eat her find! Yeah..that is it! It is all explained satisfactorily..until the next family gathering when the story will once again resurface much to the embarrassment of these two. Now, you might wonder just what prompted the post about something as disgusting as rabbit poop! Other than the delightful tale, when I was out walking this morning I found a nice pile of poop on the first step of the pier. This is not exactly news worthy at all except I am beginning to wonder just what this rabbit has against me. Every morning, I find a pile of poop on the pier.. every morning I sweep it off. I have a feeling that this bunny is sitting in the edge of the marsh
snickering at me as I perform this nasty duty. Or perhaps the bunny is just appreciative that the maid comes to clean the outhouse everyday! And my, oh, my this rabbit has been busy or maybe there is a bunch of bunnies! After I cleaned off the pier, I noticed piles everywhere!

4 comments:

  1. Or the bunnies are trying to provide you with fertilizer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that..now if I could just train them to do their business in the garden without eating my cabbages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Diana could train the bunnies for you. Dogs...bunnies...basically the same, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if she could train a bunny???? Perhaps not wild ones, though!

    ReplyDelete