Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bayou Christmas!

Christmas on the Bayou! The house is decorated..not as much as in the past, but decorated. The candy is made, cookies baked, gifts wrapped and the tree is on the pier. The tree is on the pier? Yes..the tree is on the pier! Not a real tree but a Christmas tree made from an old cast net and a few strings of lights. I managed to steal a few minutes this evening and finally get my pier decorated. It is a bit late but still I wanted to look out my window and see Christmas on the water as well as in the house. The "tree" is my cast net strung on a cross rope between two posts. Lights were then attached to the mesh of the net and artificial poinsettias were wired into place as ornaments. This makes a perfectly divine Christmas Tree! One that is basically weather resistant and sturdy enough to withstand the North winds that whip down the hill and over the water. I did look for solar-powered lights but could only find two strings in the local department store so I dragged an extension cord down the length of the pier. (The pier is over two hundred feet long!) That is one long extension cord! (Actually, it took three cords that were each one hundred feet long and a short ten foot cord to make the distance.) I made a wreath to hang on another post and I will hang it in the morning! The pier is decorated..I am happy! The hard part of decorating the pier? It was cold..very cold! I almost froze out there! Of course, if I had used a bit of sense and done it in the middle of the day instead of at night, it might have been a tad warmer. But I didn't and I froze! That is ok though, because a mug of hot cocoa warmed me once I was back inside! Besides..I like to decorate outside at night..the lights just look so pretty! Now that it is finished, I can sit by my fireplace, sip my cocoa and stare at the lights on the water! Christmas on the Bayou..like none other!

No comments:

Post a Comment