Friday, December 10, 2010

Old Man Winter



Old Man Winter has come to visit the Bayou early this year. I suppose the post I wrote earlier might actually have been a omen of what was to come. The squirrels and woodpeckers were busy all Fall stocking up on nuts and seeds and padding their nest extra warm. Now, there is frost on the pier boards making my early morning trek a bit treacherous. The dog, Ezzy, is not real sure she even wants to get out of bed before sunrise any more. She would much rather stay put next to the wood-burning stove than go out for a romp on the frosty grass. Still, I head out determine to enjoy as many peaceful sunrises as I can. This morning was no different..I was up and about at 5AM. The coffee pot was sending up the most delightful aroma as I slipped on my boots. I grabbed the heavy jacket and a mug of coffee and down the hill I went. The pier boards sparkled with the beads of frost as the morning light broke through but try as I might, no photograph seemed to capture the beauty. I sat there a bit longer. The sun was up now and to the south I could see a large V-shape in the sky! Geese! Already? It seemed a bit early in the winter for them but we are experiencing some really cold nights. I watched as they came closer and closer. No..not geese but pelicans. Bunches of pelicans! I watched them fly in formation and then swirl about changing positions. It almost seemed like they were trying to decide who was to lead them wherever they were heading. For a good ten minutes or so, I watched as the ever changing pattern of pelicans swooped around over the Bayou. At one point they seemed to collide with each other as they changed formation. I fully expected them to land but eventually they got it together and off they went..eastward. Eastward? Umm..oh, pelicans? Did you choose the wrong leader?

As I headed back to the house to chop some more kumquats for marmalade, a bright flash caught my eye. There in the Black Gum tree was the most beautiful cardinal I have seen in quite a while. Perhaps he is no different than the many others that visit the yard, except this one looked like a picture post card! A beautiful Christmas card! He sat there long enough for the camera to do its job then started fussing at me for not having the feeders filled. Each morning, I fill the feeders..each day the birds eat their fill..each night the raccoons wreck the feeders. This cycle goes on and on. I don't mind though. As long as it brings little bright spots such as this cardinal to my yard, I will continue to dole out the sunflower seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment