Monday, December 27, 2010

Weird Jelly!


My son and daughter-in-law have been out in Arizona for the past few months with him doing some Army training. They just recently returned home to Mississippi and came here for Christmas. As a Christmas gift, they brought a huge basket of jellies. When they brought the basket, it was beautifully arranged and wrapped..then I opened it and it became..a basket of jelly and honey. It is no longer beautifully arranged as I keep digging through it! At first, they were afraid that I might think this was a rather strange gift to bring to me since I make a wide variety of jams and jellies. So... they immediately set to explaining their choice of a gift. Personally, I would never have questioned the intentions behind this basket of goodies as I love biscuits and jelly! But the explanations commenced! It seems that there is a very talented lady in Arizona that makes jelly from unusual fruits, berries and vegetables..among other things. My son proceeded to show me the different jellies..stating that his favorite was the Pineapple/Habanero. Pineapple/Habanero? Yes, THAT is different! We tried that one with our meal of leftover turkey and ham from our Christmas dinner..it was amazing! This lady really knows her stuff! There are quite a few different jellies in that basket..I was impressed with some of the combinations. Besides the Pineapple/Habanero, there was Raspberry/Jalapeno, Blueberry/Lime, Jalopeno/Prickly Pear Jelly and (the one I am most anxious to sample) Blackberry/Coffee! There were so many different and exciting flavors! These delightful treats are from "We B' Jamin Farms".

Also, in the basket, they tucked a variety of honeys. The man that sold the honey was called the "Killer Bee Guy"! His honey is from the killer bees. I had never heard of flavored honeys but in the basket there was things such as Blueberry Cream Honey, Luscious Lemon, Awesome Almond, Sassy Cinnamon, Smoked, and Roasted Garlic! Each one sounds as intriguing as the next! I can hardly wait to try them!

It seems like Christmas lasts much longer than just one day..after all the song does say there are twelve days of Christmas. These twelve days, according to definition, lasts from December 25th to January 5th so I guess giving gifts well after the 25th is still "proper". Today, I received a wonderful gift! My sister came to visit with three of her grandchildren. Yes, we exchanged presents but the real gift was just having her here. I must say, though, her stay was far too short. We did much talking, laughing and "catching up" and decided that we really must get together more often. Sounds like a good idea to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment