Monday, January 10, 2011

myPods!


Ever wonder just how words change over the years? I keep hearing pod this and pod that.. iPods.. podcast.. etc. I ponder over these things and then realize that well..without admitting that I am old..all of these are products of the younger generation. They are definitely not something that I would understand in the least. If you walk into my yard and ask me something about a pod..that is exactly what I will show you..a pod. A seed pod! And that is what today's post is about..seed pods..wisteria seed pods to be more precise. Early in Spring, the wisteria on my back arbor blooms. It covers the arbor in the most sweet-smelling profusion of lavender flowers that ever graced this yard. It is one of my favorite vines on the hill. The purple flowers hang on for days bringing in the honeybees and bumblebees. There is a constant buzzing around the arbor so beware! The bees in turn pollinate the flowers and life goes on from there. This Spring was no different. The arbor was covered with flowers, the blooms were covered with bees and now there are pods. Seed pods are dangling like ornaments on the bare vines. The pods themselves hold three to five beautiful, flat, black seeds. From everything that I have ever been told, wisteria seeds are highly poisonous to every living thing except giraffes and monkeys. I have not tested this since number one..I do not want to take the chance and munch down on one just to see if it really is poisonous and number two..I do not keep giraffes and monkeys handy as test subjects. I do know that not many things around here eat them as they will hang on the vine without being bothered when all else is being devoured by the hungry animals. At first, these pods are a sort of grayish green and are covered in a velvety coating. When they dry, they turn brown and split open. They have the ability to fling the seeds a good distance from the parent plant. If you are in the general area at seed-flinging time, you might just get smacked in the head with a seed! Another weird thing about wisteria seeds is that when the seeds are planted, it will take up to fifteen years for the new vine to bloom. Wow! Life will continue for the wisteria vine but it sure takes its sweet time to be showy! So don't ask about my pod..you will be shown some seed or another! Most likely the wisteria seed pods.

2 comments:

  1. Wisteria is my most favorite flower. My grandmother had a vine that grew into a tree from being twisted together. It was beautiful and I always looked forward to the blooms in spring. We have a bunch that grows on the fence, but for some reason, my brother-in-law cuts them down. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them,too! I have the purple and the white on two different arbors. They smell so delightful every Spring.

    ReplyDelete