Monday, September 26, 2011

Bugs!


I am a bit frustrated at my garden! The only thing growing at the moment are the bell peppers, assorted hot peppers and the crowder peas. Oh..and while we are about it..does anyone know why field peas are called crowder peas? Actually, I guess you could say that I am more frustrated at the garden pests than the garden. I was out in the back garden picking a few crowder peas when all of a sudden, I heard a strange noise! It was sort of a clicking-buzzing sound and seemed to be quite close to my ear! Not knowing just what the noisemaker was, I instinctively waved my hand in the air. I had hopes of scaring the "whatever" away. It did not happen. The clicking-buzzing continued. I turned quickly to stare at empty space..where was this noisemaker?? Then of all things..phew!..a stench! I knew then the identity of my loud garden visitor! I turned again and peered about..somewhere..somewhere close..there was a..EEEEEK! Out of the corner of my eye, I spied the critter..or pair of critters! I knew it was close but had not planned on the Leaf-footed Bug to be ON me! Crawling on my back was the pair of ugly bugs! I flipped the goofy things off on the ground...UGH! STOMP! No more bug..just a lingering stench.


The Leaf-footed Bug is one of the largest true "bugs" in the insect world. It can reach to over an inch in length and if you count their legs in this length, they would be about two inches! Now mine was a pair of bugs so when you double that length...THAT IS SCARY! Nah...bugs do not scare me..just teasing there! Still, I had no desire for them to be creepy-crawling around on my back! As I said this was a pair (as in mating) so there was double the odor. That is enough to send the Ick Factor soaring! These are some of my least favorite of garden visitors..these and stinkbugs! They do so much damage, not only to the peas but to the stalks and blossoms. The Leaf-footed Bug has a long, sucking mouthpart that they poke into the fruit or stalk and suck out all the juices. This will cause misshapen fruit and veggies and a soon-to-be dead plant. I was not happy to see a goodly number of them on my peas. (And all mating..this means tons more soon!) I am pondering the idea of a garlic spray for the peas. This seemed to work on the small green stinkbugs that invaded the tomato plants last Spring so perhaps it will rid the garden of the Leaf-footed Bugs as well. I do hope so on any account!


Now..do you know why field peas are called "crowder" peas? Someone told me something the other day and it entirely makes sense even if it is not accurate! I was thinking perhaps someone named "Crowder" had maybe developed the pea into what it is today and so it was given that name...but NOOOO! It is actually much better! They are called crowder because they are crowded in the pods! This crowding causes the peas to have "squarish" or squished ends! They are just crowded! Now..tell me...don't you just like this reason! Crowder Peas!

No comments:

Post a Comment