As we rounded the corner of the rose garden, my brother called to us. He was striding across the yard with binoculars in hand. As he neared, he told me to "Ease on down to the pier..the little gator is heading your way." While he and Hubby stood talking, I did just that! I slipped down the pier as quietly as I could and sure enough I saw the small critter swimming near the pier. When I was about thirty feet from him, he headed under the pier and was out of my sight. On the end of the pier, we have two benches so I just sat and waited. It was only about five minutes before the alligator showed his face again. I was able to get several really nice pictures before he decided that showtime was over and he slipped underwater. The wake that he left while swimming showed that he was headed to the Bayou. I am sure it must be much easier to catch his breakfast there as the mullet get trapped in deep holes when the tide goes out. From the looks of it, this one is well-fed and happy.
This is the third alligator I have noticed in the Bayou this summer. Just a few weeks ago, the Big Mama made her appearance. She stayed a good ways out from the pier as she has learned not to trust humans. Then Little Bit came to visit. Little Bit is about three feet long and still has a good deal to learn as it has no fear. This is not good for a gator's health! If they become too trusting of humans and expect food, they usually wind up be a nuisance and someone will report them as a danger. Now this one! This is a five footer! It is learning to be leery of us and would have kept its distance had I not approached so quietly. The gators presence make me happy as this is an indication that the Bayou is healthy! These critters will not hang around if the food supply is not there. Their food supply being plenty of fish and marsh critters. When wildlife abounds, the area is in prime condition! Good news indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment