Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How to Kill a Tree.


It is rare to find how-to information about killing something but here on this blog..anything goes. Today's subject.."How to Kill a Tree". The best way that I have found to slay that pesky tree is to strangle it! By now, if you have not figured out that I am being totally facetious here then you are not familiar with my way of thinking. I definitely am not one that goes around killing trees..I am one that even fusses when Hubby cuts out dead ones! I am always certain that some form of life uses that tree! This does however make it quite difficult to acquire firewood! I usually cede and let him cut the dead trees. And notice that I said "usually"..there are times that I am just positive that a dead tree has a flying squirrel nest inside and with that, I refuse to let him saw it down! The dead tree stands..the squirrels keep their home..and Hubby hunts elsewhere for firewood! (And I am happy!)

The whole point of this "kill a tree" thing is to NOT do things that will eventually harm or kill the tree. Today when I was out wandering about the hill, I came across a tree with a large fissure in the side. At first glance, I thought this was a natural occurring incident brought on by perhaps storm or fire damage as some point in the poor tree's life. I was fascinated by the gaping hole in the side of the tree. It started at the ground and rose well above my head. Inside the hole, the inner part of the tree had rotted out and was a haven for insects, grub worms and lizards. There were also some small vines that had taken root inside the poor tree. On closer inspection, I was almost heartbroken that the tree had suffered an indignant injury. This gaping wound had not been an act of Mother Nature..it had been caused by human hands. Whoever had damaged the tree probably did it not out of malice but of ignorance. Near the top of the deep chasm a hefty wire protruded the bark. Some time ago..years by the looks of it..someone had nailed a wire to the tree. Most likely this was either used as a fence, clothesline or dog run cable. As the tree tried to grow, it encased the nail and wire but the damage to the bark and inner layers of the tree had been done. Insects, moisture and bacteria entered the body of the tree and started a slow death. The tree was rotting from the inside. If trees and plants feel pain, I am quite certain that this tree was in agony. I ran my hand along the wire..it was still firmly attached. There was no way for me to pull it out. The damage was done..there would be no healing this tree. I just patted the tree and apologized for the stupidity of humans.

Just a hint..if you must..absolutely must..attach a wire, cable or even a rope to a tree..check it often. There needs to be room for the tree to grow and even to move. Remove the tether when you are finished securing whatever you were using the wire for in the first place. As with the strangling of anything..death follows. Sometimes, as in this instance, a slow death.

No comments:

Post a Comment