Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cure for the Mulligrubs!


Sometimes the simplest of things can make everything alright. After a sleepless night, I decided to head to the pier before daybreak. I was a tad bit frustrated or tired or just simply out of sorts and had no desire to sit inside a second longer than necessary. There was a slight north wind making the morning air a bit coolish and after a muggy night, this was highly refreshing. Ezzy and I sat enjoying the solitude. The shore birds were just waking and announcing their joy at seeing another sunrise by letting out loud squawks and screeches. Mullet were already jumping (whoever said they don't jump at night obviously have not lived on a Bayou!) and making loud splashes as they belly-flopped on the still water. Yep..this is the way to start a morning! Then..the sunrise! The most gorgeous array of colors ever put in the sky! As I have said before, when I am all alone on the pier, I truly believe these sunrises are put there solely for my enjoyment!

Sunrise over the Bayou..a thing of beauty, indeed!

I hated to leave that pier this morning but knew that the garden needed planting. By the time I finished seeding the beets, collards and acorn squash, the sun was beaming down upon me something fierce. Son was putting the final touches on the new dog pen so I went to inspect! It sure looked nice! He had installed a canopy for a bit of shade and had swiped the gate from the now-defunct garden to use as the "door". We hurried to clean up all of the tools as a thunderstorm was threatening off in the distance. I guess my time outside was about to end..and the dreaded housework was imminent. My morning sunrise "fix" was about to wear off and the mulligrubs were about to return...blah! Mulligrubs..I hadn't thought of that in years! My grandmother used to use that term a good bit when one of her grandchildren were a tad cranky or just out of sorts! Mulligrubs..what a great word!

Sunset..another beautiful scene. Notice the eagle flying on the horizon!

By late afternoon, the "no-sleep" syndrome was about to take it toll. I was getting cabin fever and wanted out of the stuffy house, again. Ezzy was willing to accompany me on another outing to the pier. Being her doggy self, she likes to nose around in the edge of the marsh. She also knows that on the end of the pier, if she is lucky, she will get a few minnows as a snack. So..out we slipped! Escape! Again, the mullet were jumping! We sat watching them splat in the water for a good hour while the Otis Redding tune of "(Sitting on) The Dock of the Bay" rambled through my head. Perfect song for the day! Then..the sunset! Again, the colors were phenomenal! The day started with a perfect sunrise and ended with the perfect sunset! What more could one ask? I am blessed! Mulligrubs were gone!

2 comments:

  1. "The earth is the Lord's and its fullness." One of my favorite psalms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that one, too! So many verses throughout the Bible seem to be fitting for life on the Bayou.

    ReplyDelete