Thursday, September 22, 2011

Once upon a time in a Marsh....


The time has come for so many of the marsh plants to bloom. Although, these blooms can be a source of allergies for a lot of people, I, personally, love to see them. They brighten up my marsh! One of my favorite bushes is the Groundsel. Normally, this is a pretty much nondescript shrub that grows in the bogs of the Bayou. It provides nesting areas for the Red-winged Blackbird and Marsh Wren. Believe it or not, even though this bush can reach heights of fifteen feet it belongs to the aster family. Though the leaves are used as a brew for flu-like symptoms in some folk remedies, it has been deemed unsafe for human consumption. It seems that although it clears congestion when brewed with lemon and whiskey, it can cause major damage to the liver. In this instance I think the cure might just kill you so I would not risk trying the remedy! My Groundsel Bush can just stay in the marsh and look pretty!

Another plant blooming in the marsh is a relatively newbie in my Bayou. Hurricane Katrina brought in masses of strange plants and seeds. The Common Reed is also setting their blooms. The Red-winged Blackbirds are happy as they feed on the seeds of this plant. The reeds stand a good three to four feet above the marsh grass itself and add a pretty touch with their seed heads. This plant will take over the marsh eventually if the Blackbirds do not keep at their feeding. I have quit putting seeds in the feeders to assure that the birds stay in the marsh and do their job!

Then there is the what I was told was Smooth Cordgrass. I am not positive of the identity but hey..any port in a storm..we will go with the Cordgrass name! This is another hurricane transplant that is taking over the marsh at a rapid rate. Soon there will be nothing but this grass. It is sort of like the "Cogon Grass of the bog". As it spreads, it kills the other grasses by strangling the roots. The seed heads are pretty and reminisce of wheat. Here again, the birds are feasting! They cling to the stalk and strip the seeds. Those falling to the mud flats are picked up by the Rails and mice. I have noticed that the American Black Ducks and Rails both use the leaves to line their nests so at least some good is coming of this grass.



The Salt-marsh Aster with its white or purple blooms, the Seaside Goldenrod, the Duck Potato and the Marsh Hibiscus..all add color with to an otherwise drab marsh. It just takes a few minutes to focus on the beauty that is hidden deep in the boggy areas...or perhaps I just love my Bayou so much that I search for the little lovelies.


No comments:

Post a Comment